Background

Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Day Late and a Dollar Short

I missed Friday's free for all, as I was busily preparing for East Hill's Christian Servants Day. And so, now that the day has concluded, I have a bit of free time before bed and I simply must get this post on "paper". Why? Well, Friday was a very special day that I cannot overlook.

Friday was February 24th, and since 2008 that day has been a special one. You see, on February 24th, 2008, I had just finished up my first weekend in Pulaski* with a group of friends and a boy I was very interested in. When we got back to Freed-Hardeman late that Sunday night, we parked in front of Hall Roland and piled out of our friend's Tahoe, unloaded the girls' suitcases, and all said our goodbyes. After reminiscing for a few minutes with my best friend, AP, inside our dorm room**, I decided I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to talk to that boy.

He willingly drove back from his dorm and picked me up in front of HRH, and we drove around the small town of Henderson discussing the weekend and all of the events contained therein. Finally, after much deliberation and conversation, we decided (very matter of fact-ly) that we should just officially label what so many others had been labeling all along: we were 'together'. He was my boyfriend, I was his girlfriend. Once that was settled, he drove me back to HRH, and I skipped up the stairs and into my best friend's room where we giggled and squealed until it was time to go to sleep.

I will always remember February 24th with fond memories. Though mine and Robert's anniversary is on July 8th, the day I became his girlfriend will remain a special day for the rest of my life. February 24th is a day that changed my life completely, and I am so thankful for our last minute, spontaneous drive around Henderson. Without that weekend, and that night in particular, things might not have worked out the way they did. I am so thankful, every single day, that four years ago my best friend decided that we should be more than that.

God has blessed me with many things, but the greatest blessing of my life is Robert. He makes me a better and happier person than I have ever been, and I am looking forward to an eternity with him.


*Technically, my first weekend in Pulaski was in 2006 when I was on Freed-Hardeman's volleyball team and we played Martin Methodist, but I didn't take my picture with any turkeys so it hardly counted.
**Technically, my best friend and I weren't roommates at Freed, but we might as well have been since we were next door neighbors and spent all of our time in each other's rooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment