Background

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Weekends with Mom

I spent this past Saturday with my mom. She drove up for the day and we got to have some much-needed one-on-one time. I didn't even realize I needed it as much as I did, but as she drove away Saturday night I realized just how much I'd missed seeing her every day.

We didn't do anything significant on Saturday, but it was just what I needed. While we were out wasting the day shopping in Cool Springs, I noticed some ways I'm exactly like my mom:

1: We shop the same. We don't like to dig through every piece of clothing in every single stack. We go in, examine the sales racks, and instantly decide if we like something or not. If not, we're on our way. She's the perfect shopping partner.

2: We get tired of shopping at the same time. Two hours is our breaking point. Normally it's before then, but we were having so much fun talking and laughing that I didn't really notice until we got to the final store. But, we both looked at each other and said, I'm ready to go. Again, perfect shopping partner.

3: We snack the same. I developed my love for ice cream from my mom. I also inherited the ability to scarf it down like her. I fully believe we could win an ice cream eating contest. No brain freezes for us!

4: We like the same things. This may or may not be a good thing, but at one point while we were shopping, I pulled a shirt off the rack to examine it, looked over and realized my mom was holding out the exact same shirt in a different size. Needless to say, I put mine up and she bought it, but still. We like the same things. =)

5: We travel the same. Both coming and going, we needed something from McDonald's; for me it was a large Diet Coke, for her-sweet tea. Still, when we're traveling we need some sort of drink to keep us company.

There are probably a host of other ways that we're the same, but those are the ones that really stick out to me. However, while we were spending the day together, I also noticed a lot of qualities that my mom possesses that I hope I inherit:

1: The way she loves her daughters. I've known for a long time that my mom loves me, but when I hear her talk about my sisters it makes me realize just how much she loves us. It's evident in her voice and the things she says. I hope that I can love my children the way she's loved me.

2: She takes care of her family. Emotionally and physically, she takes care of us. She knows everything there is to know about nursing someone back to health. She's always given of herself completely when one of us were sick (though let's be honest, I'm the most sickly one). I hope that I can do the same for my kids and my husband.

I have an incredible mom. I'm so thankful for her and all the things she's taught me. I hope that I can be like her in a lot of ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment