Background

Monday, October 22, 2012

Omission and Commission

I recently heard a man pray that we would be forgiven of our sins, and that we know we sin more often out of omission than commission. As soon as he'd uttered the words, my heart was pricked. How often do we get up on our high horses because we don't struggle with certain things?

I know that this world is full of sin, and that there are so many who struggle to abstain from sexual immorality, lying, drinking, cheating, murdering, stealing, etc. However, I find myself--more often than not--free from such temptations. To be honest, if I'm not careful I can find myself in a place of complacency.

James warned in his epistle that "to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin." I feel I can fit right into this category if I'm not watchful.

So that I don't fall into this category (and that you don't either!), I want to put before our minds a few things that the Word of God has told us are good to do. Perhaps if we can keep them at the forefront of our minds, we can abstain from this sneaky type of sin.

1: Visit orphans and widows in their trouble (James 1:27)

2: Give to the Lord's Work (1 Cor. 16:1-2)

3: Teach others about Christ (Matthew 28:19-20)

4: Fill yourself with the teachings of Jesus (Eph. 5:18, Col. 3:16, 2 Tim. 2:15)

5: Seek out erring members (James 5:19-20)

6: Pray for the church and for opportunities to serve (1 Thess. 5:17)

7: Feed the hungry, be hospitable to strangers, clothe the naked (Matt.25:35-39)

May God enable us all to do great works for Him, and to keep them ever before us so that we can sin less by way of omission.

2 comments:

  1. Was that the prayer that C.J. Johnson led at the BATBM campaign?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it was at the Ironaton campaign, though I don't know who the man was! But sure!

    ReplyDelete