Background

Monday, December 24, 2012

Must-Tell Monday: Husband Edition

I feel that this post has been a long time coming, and if you aren't in the mood for sappy or gushy or the like, you should probably abort this post immediately. =)

For nearly a year a half, I have been married to the most remarkable man in the universe. Every single day of that year and a half I have been more proud of him than I ever thought possible, and instead of simply telling him about it in the same old ways all of the time, I thought I would share some of those ways with you.

1: Robert is incredibly passionate. He has often remarked to me that 'if you can do something other than preach, you should'. I am so thankful that he can't do anything but preach (not that he doesn't have talents--we'll get to that later). There is no other occupation that Robert would rather have, because he loves serving our God more than anything. From the outside looking in, people often ask us if we spend enough time together or if he takes enough time off or if he rests, etc. etc. But I know my husband, and I know that he works as much as he does and as hard as he does because he is oh-so-passionate. I am ok with not being his first love, because I want him to love God more than he loves me. And one of the things I love most about him is that he has such a zeal and a light in his eye when he talks about doing the Lord's work. I am so blessed to be married to a man who loves God so much and is so dedicated to serving Him.

2: He loves me so well. Don't get crazy thinking that Robert doesn't spend enough time with me because he's so passionate about his work. He is always making sure that I am taken care of, that my needs are met, and that I have anything and everything my heart desires. He is so good about making sure I'm not left home alone too much or that I don't have to do all the work around the house by myself. He is always looking out for me and putting my needs above his own. I know there are days when he'd rather just kick back and relax, but he'll come right in and take the trash out for me or ask me if he can help with supper. He also urges me to buy things that I want--even if it's just a fleeting 'that'd be nice'. He wants me to be happy, and he wants to make that happen in any possible way (though he must not realize just being married to him is enough!).

3: He is so amazingly talented. The idea for The Light Network came from Robert, and subsequently all of the tech-y stuff that goes along with podcasting has fallen on his shoulders. He has set up our home office to be a studio for my podcast--complete with all kinds of mixers and wires and microphones. He has set up his own office as a complete studio with more technology than I can innumerate upon. He does all of it himself, too, because he just gets it. TLN would not be possible if it weren't for his tech talents, though I know he would never want to toot his own horn.

It isn't just TLN, though! Robert does a lot of the tech stuff for the congregation here at East Hill, and has even done work for the Memphis School of Preaching, the Ironaton congregation, and tons of work for GBN! He has so many talents, and he is using them for God's glory. I could not be more proud of the man I married!*

4: He is a wonderful teacher. In relation to the last point, I wouldn't have my video editing job if it weren't for Robert. He taught me everything I need to know about video editing, and continues to teach me on a regular basis! I wouldn't be able to do my podcast on TLN if it weren't for him, wouldn't have a job that I love if it weren't for him, and therefore wouldn't be able to serve God like I am if it weren't for him! I am only able to do what I do because of Robert and the amazing way he teaches. BUT, it isn't just about tech stuff. This year, Robert has been teaching the Wednesday night Bible class at the East Hill congregation, and I have learned more from that class than probably any other (and I'm not the only one who says that!). We have been studying through the Bible (starting in Jan. at Genesis and ending Jan. 2nd in Revelation), and it has been a remarkable, eye-opening study. He has challenged us and opened our eyes to so many things, and that's because he's such a great teacher! He's relatable and knowledgeable, and we are just so blessed to have him!

5: He is such a good friend. While I can't speak for all of his friends, I do know how much time and effort he puts into relationships. I know that he really tries to be there for people and really invests in them. I know that he cares deeply for others and doesn't simply put on a front. I know that he is willing to put a lot into other people, and even sacrifices his schedule to make things work. He is one of those wonderful people who is willing to do anything for you, and he's so personable that it makes you want to open up to him and be close to him. I am so blessed to be not only his wife, but his friend.

Recently, one of our (unmarried) friends said that they didn't like husbands/wives calling each other their "best friend" because the term "husband" or "fiance" or something else sounds more formal and means more. I, for one, am so thankful that I am married to my best friend...and that he's been that way from the beginning. Mine and Robert's relationship started on the best friend playing field. Actually, we were so nervous about dating because we were such good friends already. But our best friendship (aka sharing every detail of our lives) turned into something much more beautiful than I could ever imagine, and yet, we have retained our best friendship throughout the taking on of new roles. And I love that about us. I love that Robert is the person who makes me laugh the hardest. I love that he is the one who knows exactly what to say or what face to make to get me to crack up. I love that he makes road trips so enjoyable, and makes the tensest moments bearable. I love that we don't have to speak to know what the other is thinking, and that just one glance from across the room can lead to tons of laughter.

As soon as Robert and I started becoming friends, I knew that he was the best I was going to have. He has always been so easy to open up to, so caring, and so accommodating. While I may be a bit biased, I know that others think he's a good friend, too, and I'm so proud of him for being the type of person that people want to be friends with.

As you can see, I am so blessed to be able to call Robert mine. And while this post doesn't have a devotional thought, or maybe any point at all for any of you who may still be reading, I think it's important to share it, because I want my husband to know, every day, that I am so proud of him and that I love him more than anyone else in this world.


1 comment: