Background

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Defining Moments: Part One

We all have those moments in life: moments that turned everything upside down and around and changed everything about who you were.

One such moment happened to me in 2007. I remember the time very, very vividly, as it was a highly emotional time. My grandfather has just passed away, my boyfriend had broken up with me at the beginning of a three hour car ride back to school, and I was working 20+ hours a week on a Makin Music show for Freed-Hardeman. Translation: Life. Was. Crazy.

I hit a really low point in all of this. My priorities shifted, my attitude changed, and my faith weakened. I was relying on self, consumed with self, and shutting out those around me. And then, God did something beautiful in my life.

Providence is something that is very hard for me to put my finger on, but looking back, it is easy to see God's handiwork in your life. For me, looking back at the end of 2007, I see God's fingerprints everywhere.

During the fall semester in 2007, Robert and I started becoming much better friends in a common journalism/media class we had together. He consoled me when said boyfriend broke up with me. He talked me down from quite a few Makin Music ledges. He really and truly became my best friend.

Over the Christmas break in 2007, my life completely changed. I had someone who was truly concerned for me, and interested in helping me to get my spiritual life back on track. I had someone who valued me and told me that I should value myself. I had someone who constantly lifted me up and helped me gain a stronger, truer relationship with my heavenly Father.

When I got back to school in January of 2008, my life was forever changed. In those coming weeks I would officially start dating this boy who'd been there all along, I would lead my first devotional in Hall-Roland, and I would vow to be better for God in front of hundreds at the Henderson church of Christ.

I didn't know what all God had in store for me in the early parts of 2008. I was broken and weak and frail. I was hurting, but He was healing, and soon I would be back on my feet--His strength making me stronger than ever. It was, absolutely, a defining and life-altering moment for me.

So what's the point?

The point is, God's grace offers all of us new beginnings...and what better time to decide to be a new, better you than right now--in these early weeks of 2013! Perhaps you feel broken and at rock bottom: that's ok! God heals (Psalm 51:10,12). Maybe you feel beaten down and unworthy: that's ok! God sent His only Son to save all sinners (1 Tim. 1:15). No matter what you have gotten yourself into in life, there is a way of escape from those sinful chains, and that way is Jesus Christ! If you want your life to be better, all you have to do is follow Jesus' plan for you! Living the Christian life is truly the best, most wonderful life there is! Following after the perfect and sinless Messiah makes for the most joyful life of all! And having the assurance of heaven? There is absolutely nothing better.

Whatever it is that's holding you back/down/under -- give your burdens to Jesus, the Savior of the world. Lay on Him every weight that easily entangles you. Put your burdens at the feet of His cross, and He will give you life everlasting. Make today a defining moment in your life: change who & how you are and who you live for.


No comments:

Post a Comment