Background

Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Valentine

In case you have ever wondered some of the ins and outs of mine and Robert's relationship beginnings, I am here to give you a link to the past! In preparing to write this post, I reread all of the 'month of love' posts I had written 2 years ago, and fell in love with my wonderful husband all over again. If you're interested, they're there for your viewing pleasure. If you're not interested, the link is there so I can easily go back over and read them anytime I want to!

Now, moving back to 2013. Ok, not really.

You see, February 14, 2013 is special for many reasons. 1: It's Valentine's Day, and who doesn't love Valentine's Day when you're married to an amazing person?! 2: It's the five year anniversary of mine and Robert's first date. Let the aww-ing begin!

You see, five years ago I didn't know what I was getting into. I knew that I was nervous. I knew that it was taking me far too long to get ready to go to the same restaurant I went to every Thursday evening with the same person I always went with. I knew that I was feeling really awkward when the same waitress at the same restaurant made a big deal about it just being the two of us. And I definitely remember wanting to crawl under the table when the same group of friends we always came with showed up later that evening and caught just the two of us.

What I didn't know, though, was that this handsome boy sitting across from me would become my husband (though, I may or may not have said he would be about a week later). I didn't know that he would completely change my life and make me a better person. I didn't know that I'd actually want to move back to the small town where he grew up. And I definitely didn't know that beautiful way he'd end up loving me.

While I am completely partial, I cannot help but love mine and Robert's story--the good and the bad. Why? Because it is uniquely us. From our first date to our first kiss to our wedding day...our story is uniquely us. And though it hasn't all been sunshine and rainbows, it has all been a part of God's design for two of His children, and I am forever thankful for that.

When I decided to go to Freed-Hardeman, I didn't think I'd quit the volleyball team. I didn't realize I'd be asked to start working at a TV station and ultimately decide to pursue broadcast journalism as my major. I definitely didn't realize that the boy I shameless made fun of in the Chinese restaurant would ever, ever become my best friend. And I didn't know that I'd start taking a broadcasting class and sit down beside the boy who would ask me to marry him. And yet, that's how it happened.

Five years later, I still get nervously excited about going on dates with my husband. Five years later, I am still beyond giddy to sit across from this handsome boy at restaurants. Five years later, I cannot imagine this amazing man not ever being in my life. While five years can seem like a long time in some respects, it honestly doesn't feel that long at all. Time with my Robert has flown by; especially the last year and a half. I am beyond blessed to be in a marriage covenant with such a godly, inspiring, wonderful man, and beyond blessed that he asked me out five years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, this is the sweetest post ever!!! I loved getting to read it! What a rare and beautiful relationship you two have, and a great example to all! :) Hope you two have a great Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete